Get Involved with HAP
HAP would love to have you as a member, a volunteer, or both! Read on to find out what it means to be a member, and how you can become a volunteer and help us continue to make HAP a wonderful, volunteer-driven organization.
Become a HAP Member
We invite you to join HAP! Anyone can support HAP by becoming a member of the organization. HAP membership is only $20 per year, and our low dues mean that HAP activities and services remain available to anyone, no matter their financial status. Whether you’re a neighbor, a volunteer, or simply a member of the community who supports HAP’s goals, we would love to have you join. Your dues support HAP activities by covering expenses such as insurance, program materials, and publicity.
Volunteer with HAP!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with HAP! As an all-volunteer organization, there are multiple ways to get involved, either by working with our neighbors directly or helping out behind the scenes.
- Become a volunteer driver and take neighbors to medical appointments, to the grocery store, HAP events, or run other errands.
- For non-driving volunteers, perform small tasks around the house or yard. Examples include moving furniture, shoveling snow, or mowing the lawn.
- Check in on neighbors through the HAP phone tree or regular “friendly visits.”
- Help plan HAP programs, such as the Valentine-making party, Smart Aging Fair, or some of our informational sessions about topics related to aging.
- Join a HAP committee to reach out to neighbors, coordinate volunteers, or fundraise, to name a few.
- Keep the community informed about what HAP is doing by updating the website or publicizing events.
- Become a member of the HAP board and keep the organization running!
How to Become a Volunteer
The only qualification for being a HAP volunteer is having a commitment to helping Hyattsville neighbors. The process is easy:
- Fill out our information form and let us know you’re interested.
- A member of the HAP Volunteer Steering Committee will call you to talk about your interests and tell you more about HAP.
- Go through a short training process (about 1 ½ hours with another HAP volunteer).
HAP will then let you know when volunteer opportunities arise and you can respond if you are able to help.